At the anniversary celebration, guests heard reflections of the past, present, and future as well as having toured the building. Dr. Hargrett says the school is still abuzz with excitement about the celebration, “Our clubs and PTSA were on hand to showcase Floyd’s activities. Former teachers and students contributed items toward a Memory Wall and archives were on display. It was an amazing evening!”
Floyd Middle School began originally as Floyd Junior High School in August, 1965. When the school year started, the building wasn’t complete, so students began classes in the Osborne Junior building. After three weeks, a fire destroyed part of the Osborne building, causing Floyd students to be moved to the South Cobb High School campus. It was in January, 1966 that Floyd was finally finished and opened its doors to 900 excited students.
During the next six years, Floyd nearly doubled in size under the leadership of Principal T. J. Hatcher. With approximately 1500 students on campus in the early seventies, more than a dozen portable classrooms were then needed to accommodate the overflow. Currently under the leadership of Dr. Teresa Hargrett, Floyd continues to grow its outstanding student body and teaching team.
Floyd’s vision is “a community of actively engaged lifelong learners who are accountable, productive citizens,” and its mission is to “make a difference.”
Floyd MS believes that:
- all stakeholders have the ability and the right to learn in a safe and supportive environment,
- all stakeholders are responsible for student success,
- student learning is maximized when students are challenged with meaningful and engaging learning activities,
- individuals are deserving of respect for their unique intellectual, physical, and emotional qualities,
- it is important for individuals to take responsibility for their actions,
- and that staff members should work to improve and research educational practices through professional learning opportunities.
To Floyd: established in 1965, still dedicated to Student Success!
Floyd Middle School: 4803 Floyd Road, Mableton, 30126
Principal: Dr. Teresa Hargrett